See everything on sale inside our September Sale Flyer.
Shop Our Sale Flyer
Browse your favorite woodworking catalog!
Shop Our Catalog
Look up product instructions, videos and articles about your favorite tools using our Learning Center.
Join us on your favorite social network! Share your projects and learn from other woodworkers.
Please Note: This item can only be shipped ground to the 48 contiguous states. Some
items cannot be shipped via air due to being flammable, magnetic, contains batteries,
hazardous fumes or where contents are under pressure. Please use a physical address
not a PO Box during checkout.
of respondents would recommend this to a friend.
1 - 3
Back to top
DO NOT BUY THIS KIT
Disappointed Wood Turner
LED Flashlight Kit Gun Metal
I have made hundreds of pens, clocks, and other kits and almost every kit is well designed and simply works if you follow the instructions. This kit is so poorly designed that I suggest you DO NOT BUY IT. Some issues and reasons for this are below:
1. The Gun Metal Case for the lamp assembly does not properly conduct electricity. The brass washer supplied is a good idea but the gun-metal coating prevents the metal from conducting and the light doesn't work or is so dim because of high resistance (I tried two kits with the same problem)
2. The plastic lens is nearly impossible to install. Takes lots of trial and error and serious pushing to get it to pop into place.
3. Once the plastic lens is in place, you cannot remove it - period. So, if you assemble this and want to change anything in the assembled head, forget it. I wanted to use a dremel tool with small wire brush to clean off the coating where the brass washer is supposed to make the connection but I had to destroy the lens to get it apart making the kit valueless.
4. I bought the kits at a Woodcraft store. I called customer service and was told she would not replace the kits because I bought them at a store. Just another example of how Woodcraft does not support the poor franchisees that they should be taking good care of!
5. As the brass tube in the center is used to conduct the electricity from the switch and negative side of the cell, the instructions should tell you to sand the inside of the tube and the outside of the housings so they will make decent electrical contact.
All in all, for the exorbitant price, this is simply JUNK!
No, I would not recommend this to a friend
Very Well Made
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
THIS KIT IS VERY WELL MADE. IT HAS GOOD HEFT AND FEELS SOLID.THE OFF ON SWITCH FEELS GOOD AND SOLID.VERY BRITE LIGHT. MY ONLY PROBLEMS WERE FITTING THE LENS AND THE SECOND O-RING. THE LENS WAS HARD TO SNAP INTO THE CASE. I FINALLY USED MY PEN PRESS AND GOT IT IN. THE SECOND O-RING JUST LOOKED TO BIG. I COULDN'T GET IT INTO THE SLOT.OTHER THAN THAT, A GREAT LIGHT THAT WILL MAKE ANYONE WHO GETS IT HAPPY.
Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
I really WANTED to like this kit...
I really wanted to love this kit. The size is great, the LED output is good, it uses a common alkaline battery, and feels really sturdy in the hands. However, the overall assembly is that of really inexpensive Chinese flashlights.
The switch is a reverse clicky. This means to turn the flashlight on, you depress the switch all the way until it clicks, and release it until it clicks again at which time the light turns on. Better switches are forward clicky meaning you can slightly depress the switch to momentarily turn the light on. The flashlight head is assembled in a compression fashion with the insertion of the lens holding the LED driver board and reflector in place. One major problem with this is there is not a very good thermal bond created between the driver and the housing to adequately dissipate the heat generated by the LED. This will result in a premature death of the LED.
To make this a much better product, the following things need changed:
1) Use a traditional driver-pill setup for the LED driver assembly for adequate heat dissipation.
2) Follow traditional higher-end flashlight assembly practices and have the front setup as o-ring/lens/reflector/led/pill so the o-ring can act as a proper water barrier and dropping the flashlight lens-first can never result in the entire driver assembly falling out of the flashlight.
3) Replace the plastic reflector with an aluminum or silver-plated copper one.
4) Replace the reverse clicky switch with a forward clicky switch.
5) Lessen the recess of the switch in the tail for easier access.
1 - 3
Back to top
©2016 by Woodcraft Supply LLC