|Spend some quality time with your house, and make a list of the pluses and minuses as if you were considering whether to buy it. Use the list to develop projects that will create your “dream home” over a year’s time. To help you, Woodcraft offers some ideas for projects and products.
• Use paints, stains, dyes, finishes and related products to reinvigorate the wood throughout your home, including doors, shutters, walls and furniture.
• Add molding or other trim to give walls an upscale look.
• Expand storage space with wall hung or free-standing shelving in as many rooms and areas as possible, matching shapes, hardware and color to each room’s décor.
• Replace or upcycle kitchen, bathroom or garage cabinets, as well as outdated bathroom vanities.
• Add a wood deck, patio or porch to your outdoor area, and repair/revive or build outdoor benches and other furniture.
“If the changes you envision involve unfamiliar tasks, do some research. We offer books about home improvement topics, as well Woodcraft Magazine technique downloads and how-to videos for many products online,” product manager Ben Bice said. “Or get some expert advice at your nearest Woodcraft store.”
• General Finishes Water-Based Milk Paints include a 28-color base selection of premixed acrylic paints that can be combined to create even more colors suitable for indoor or outdoor projects. Use the milk paint with the six translucent Glaze Effects to create eye-catching decorative finishes such as distressing, antiquing or shabby chic.
• General Finishes Gel Stains and Topcoat are easy to use – simply wipe on with a rag and wipe off the excess. Stains are available in 12 shades, including the popular Java and Georgian Cherry. A perfect solution for attractive redesigns at an affordable price.
• OneTime Wood Protector is a proprietary acrylate resin blend that penetrates wood’s cellular structure and cures it by exposure to UV radiation. It protects new wood, old wood, pressure treated wood, or wood that has had the previous coating removed – for seven years! Great for outdoor wood projects — wood shake roof, deck, chairs, picnic tables, fences and more.
• Festool’s Rotex RO90 Multi-Purpose Sander switches easily between three sanding modes – aggressive, random orbital finish sanding, and delta detail sanding – that will handle a host of tasks from stripping stubborn paint to creating a smooth finish.
• Earlex Gemini HVLP Sprayer can be used as a cup fed gun to spray fine finishes and paints or with a pump to push water-based paint/stain directly from the can via a 13' hose to the gun for covering large surfaces.
• The QuikBENCH Portable Workbench holds 300 lbs. alone; add another to form a sawhorse to hold 2,000 pounds. Or connect several for a larger workstation. If you need a scaffold, choose the portable Vika Twofold Workbench and Scaffold. Both benches include power strips.
• The EZ Pro Crown King Crown Molding Jig from General Tools works with a mitersaw to cut crown molding joints precisely without difficult angle calculations and compound angle cuts.
• 3M PSA-Backed Veneer is real wood veneer permanently bonded to 3M Pressure Sensitive Adhesive. It can be applied to MDF, particleboard, plywood and drywall with excellent results. The veneer is used for furniture repair, countertops, shelves, and architectural applications.
• Fein’s MultiMaster Q Start Kit is equipped for sawing, rasping, scraping, removing grout, sanding, polishing and cutting, all powered by a 250-watt, variable-speed motor.
• Transforming Your Kitchen with Stock Cabinetry is a 160-page softcover book by cabinetmaker Jonathan Benson and his wife, Sherry Benson, a chef, that shows how to transform a kitchen using money-saving stock cabinetry and a well-thought-out plan.
• Grex 18-Gauge 2" Nailer – Green Buddy is a precision nailer that fires 1/2" to 2" 18-gauge nails for trim and moldings, cabinet assembly, furniture and cabinet finish work, jig fixtures, light wood assembly and more.
• The Kreg Jig® K5 Pocket Hole System offers an easy way to use pocket hole joints in your furniture and home projects such as decks and porches.
• M1 Tape Measure features patented Sight Scribe that allows you to measure and mark without a pencil. Lock your measurement with the M1 blade lock, and take it wherever you need to mark.
To learn more about these products and others that can help you update your home, visit your local Woodcraft store, call (800) 535-4482 or visit www.woodcraft.com.